I talk a lot about my love for Genesis on this blog. I used free WordPress themes for years (and absolutely recommend the same for anyone who is new to blogging or doesn't have space in the budget yet).
If you haven't bought Genesis, but you wonder what it's all about…
If you have bought Genesis and want a good how-to manual…
I've got a freebie for you.
StudioPress (the company that makes Genesis) has put together this free, printable, PDF called The Genesis Guide for Absolute Beginners (click to download immediately). Handy!
Here are the things you'll learn:
Table of Contents
1 Introduction to Genesis
- 1.1 What's a Framework?
- 1.2 What's a Child Theme?
2 Installing Genesis and a child theme
- 2.1 Installing Genesis from inside WordPress
- 2.2 Installing using FTP
3 Genesis Settings
- 3.1 Theme Settings
- 3.2 SEO Settings
- 3.3 Import/Export
4 How Home Pages Work
5 Widget Areas
6 Included Widgets
- 6.1 Genesis – Add the Featured Pages Widget
- 6.2 Genesis – Add the Featured Posts Widget
- 6.3 Genesis – Latest Tweets Widget
- 6.4 Genesis – User Profile Widget
- 6.5 Genesis – eNews and Update Widget
- 6.6 Additional Widgets
8 Genesis Templates
- 8.1 Blog Template
- 8.2 Archive Template
9 Upgrading Genesis
- 9.1 Using the Automatic Upgrade feature
- 9.2 Upgrading Manually
10 Additional Resources
- 10.1 Plugins
- 10.2 Helpful Links
- 11.1 Common Installation Error Messages
Get the The Genesis Guide for Absolute Beginners now!
Disclaimer: The links in this post are my affiliate links. My disclosure policy is here.