Email templates are a huge time saver if you find yourself writing the same email(s) over and over again.
In this tutorial, I explain how to use canned responses in Gmail. Canned responses are basically email templates that allow you to insert any text into an email with a few clicks.
Can't see the video? Watch it here.
Step 1: Prepare to use Canned Responses
- Open Gmail (or get a Gmail account if you don't already have one–it's free).
- Click on your Settings icon (looks like a gear) in the top right corner. You'll see a dropdown menu. Click on "Settings."
- Click on the "Labs" tab.
- Scroll down until you see "Canned Responses" by Chad P. Click the "Enable" button next to it.
- Click the "Save Changes" button at the top or bottom of the page.
Step 2: How to create a Canned Response
- Now that the Lab is enabled, you're ready to use the canned responses feature. Click on the big red "Compose" button.
- Don't worry about filling out To, From, Subject. Simply put your cursor into the body of the email and type the sentence or paragraph(s) you find yourself typing repeatedly.
- Remove your signature (if Gmail automatically inserted it for you). Tip: A Gmail signature is a handy feature. Here's how to create your own if you don't have one already.
- Save your canned response by clicking the down arrow (More Options) in the bottom right of your New Message screen. You'll see a menu. Click "Canned Responses." Hover over it until you see the new window.
- Navigate to the "Save" section and click "New canned response…"
- Name your canned response with something descriptive so you'll know what it is when you are ready to use it.
- You can close and delete this message.
Step 3: How to use a Canned Response
- When you are ready to use a canned response, begin your email by responding to someone else's or creating a new one.
- Simply insert your cursor in the spot you want your text to appear within the email.
- Click on the down arrow ("More Options") in the bottom right of your message window.
- Hover over "Canned Responses" and wait for the window to appear. Find your canned response under the "Insert" section and click. The canned response will appear in your email.
- Personalize the email by adding a greeting, salutation and/or any other vital information that makes the recipient feel special.