Once you've chosen your domain name, it's time to register it.
Sidebar: You have the option of registering one domain name for free when you sign up for hosting (which we'll get to in a couple of steps). I have always purposefully registered my domain name and purchased hosting from different companies. This is because I prefer not to give one company total control over the two most important aspects of my site. That being said, the likelihood of you encountering a problem is probably slim so if you want to save a little bit of cash, you can skip this post for now and you can register your domain when you sign up for hosting.
For those of you who want to proceed, onward…
There are numerous places online to register a domain. I personally use GoDaddy.com. (I do not recommend them for hosting, though, as I've heard many not-so-favorable reviews of their hosting service.)
Domain registration will cost between $10 and $20 per year and must be renewed annually.
Aargh, it's a bit blurry. Working on this. In the meantime, you can view it here.
Can't see the video? Watch it here.
- Go to GoDaddy.com.
- Enter your desired domain. Related: How to Choose a Domain Name: 12 Tips
- Follow the prompts.
- Note: The only "extra" I routinely purchase is Private Registration. I explain why in Is your personal information public?
- Bonus Tip: There are often discount coupons available for GoDaddy.com. So, before you complete your purchase, open a new tab or window in your browser and do a search – "godaddy.com promo code" or "godaddy.com coupon code" — and then enter the "promo code" in the appropriate field before checking out.
Disclosure: The links to GoDaddy.com in this post are affiliate links, meaning, if you click on one of them and register your domain there, they will give me a portion of that sale. I'd be grateful for a click through my affiliate link, but that is completely up to you.
Other posts in this series
- How to Start a Blog or Website: Intro & FAQ
- How to Start a Blog or Website: Cheat Sheet
- How to Find (or Refind) Your Passion
- How to Decide What to Blog About: What Works for Readers?
- How to Decide What to Blog About: What Works for You?
- Understand Branding: 4 Tips
- Understand Keywords: Increase the Odds of Getting Found
- Writing Great Content: 3 Tips
- How to Write a Killer About Page
- 12 Blog Organization Tips
- How to Choose a Domain Name: 12 Tips
- How to Register a Domain Name
- How to Set Up Hosting and WordPress
- How to Change Your Nameservers
- How to Add a New User in WordPress
- How to Optimize Your WordPress Settings
- How to Install a Plugin
- My Favorite Plugins
- How to Get & Optimize a Feedburner Feed
- How to Choose a WordPress Theme
- How to Install a WordPress Theme
- Elegant Themes for WordPress
- How to Install Google Analytics
- How to Use WordPress: Tips & Tricks
- How to Start a Blog or Website: 10 Tips for New Bloggers
- How to Start a Blog or Website (In 15 Minutes or Less)