Does this happen to you? You leave a comment on a blog but your picture doesn't show up? Like this?
Your picture, called an avatar, helps people connect with you and makes you more approachable. Approachability is good in social media.
What you need is a Gravatar (globabally recognized avatar). A Gravatar attaches the image of your choice to your email address. So, anytime you use your email address on a gravatar-enabled site, your avatar pops up automatically. Handy.
Before I tell you how, my tips about avatars…
- Use a high-quality photo. Your avatar is part of your personal brand. Just like big brands with recognizable logos, your avatar serves the same purpose — something that people associate with you and your online presence. Take some time to make sure your avatar is well done. You might even consider hiring a professional.
- Don't change your avatar willy-nilly. Consistency is key when it comes to establishing a solid brand. Can you imagine how confused we'd all be if Coke changed its logo every few months? So it is with your avatar. Pick a good one and stick with it.
- Use the same avatar across the internet. Anytime you are asked to upload an avatar or profile pic, use the same one. Again, consistency is key.
Here's how to get a Gravatar:
- Go to Gravatar.com.
- Click "Get your Gravatar today".
- Enter your email address. (In the comment below, Sandra from The Sensible Mom makes a great point: if you use multiple email address, attach them all.)
- Activate your account by clicking on the link in the email you receive.
- Choose a username and password.
- Add your image.
- Crop it and finish.
- If you use more than one email address and you want it/them to be attached to this gravatar as well, go to the "My Account" dropdown menu and click "Add an Email Address".
Once you're done, your comments will look like this: