Whether you want to start a blog, work from home, author a book or get more exposure for your existing business, you've got to have your own website. Fortunately you can be up and running in about 15 minutes. This is how.
The steps below are exactly how I build my own sites. I have been a paying customer of the company listed here for almost 10 years. If you follow these steps, I will be paid a commission, at no additional cost to you, which helps keep this site running. Thank you!
Go to Bluehost (this link will open in a new window so you can reference these instructions as you work). Click the green "Sign Up Now" button.
Enter a domain name on the left side under "I Need a Domain Name." Make sure ".com" is selected from the drop down menu beside it. Click the blue "Next" button. (If you don't know what domain to use, I recommend you use your name. Here are more tips for choosing a domain.)
On the next page, enter your account info at the top. Make sure you use a working email address because this is where your login information will be sent.
Under "Package Information" choose your "Account Plan" from the dropdown menu based on how far in advance you want to pay. (As you can see, it works out to just a couple of fancy coffees per month. Not bad for your own blog or website, right?) I always skip the other add-ons except "Domain Whois Privacy" which will keep your personal information private, so I highly recommend it. (Note: this option only shows up if you are registering a new domain, but it won't show up if you're using an existing domain.)
On a budget? There's another hosting company called HostGator that I use and recommend as well. Their monthly fee is a little more expensive, but they do allow you to pay month by month. Check out my tutorial for HostGator here.
Fill in your billing information, confirm that you've read the fine print and then click Next.
On the next page you'll be asked if you want to add any upgrades. I just skip them all. Continue on to complete your purchase. After completing your purchase, check your email. You'll find a welcome email from Bluehost with your cpanel login info.
Go back to Bluehost and click the "Control Panel Login" button in the top right corner of your screen, or use the link to your cpanel contained in the welcome email.
Enter your login info from the welcome email.
Once logged in, click the "WordPress" icon under "Website Builders."
You should get a window that looks like this. Click the "Start" button.
Leave this section as is, with your domain showing in the dropdown menu (unless you have a good reason to create a subfolder which is not likely if you are just starting). Simply click "Check Domain."
Check the box next to "Show advanced options." Enter your "Site Name or Title," choose an "Admin Username" (do not use "admin" as your username), password and email address (all site information will be sent here so make sure it's working). Read and agree to the terms. Click the "Install now" button.
Done! Take note of the information to access your new site. This information will also be sent to you via email. Clicking on the "Site URL" will take you to your brand new, live website (it's super basic at this point)! Clicking on the "Login URL" will take to the login page where you can enter your username & password and get into the backend of your site and make it your own!
Congratulations! You (or anyone) can now type your domain into a browser and your very basic WordPress site will appear! But you must be wondering…
OK, so what's next?
- Sign up to receive my emails. You'll get all kinds of ongoing tips for getting traffic, making money and keeping things running smoothly.
- Help me spread the word and share this post with others!
- Follow the other posts in this series…
Other posts in this series
- How to Start a Blog or Website: Intro & FAQ
- How to Start a Blog or Website: Cheat Sheet
- How to Find (or Refind) Your Passion
- How to Decide What to Blog About: What Works for Readers?
- How to Decide What to Blog About: What Works for You?
- Understand Branding: 4 Tips
- Understand Keywords: Increase the Odds of Getting Found
- Writing Great Content: 3 Tips
- How to Write a Killer About Page
- 12 Blog Organization Tips
- How to Choose a Domain Name: 12 Tips
- How to Register a Domain Name
- How to Set Up Hosting and WordPress
- How to Change Your Nameservers
- How to Add a New User in WordPress
- How to Optimize Your WordPress Settings
- How to Install a Plugin
- My Favorite Plugins
- How to Get & Optimize a Feedburner Feed
- How to Choose a WordPress Theme
- How to Install a WordPress Theme
- Elegant Themes for WordPress
- How to Install Google Analytics
- How to Use WordPress: Tips & Tricks
- How to Start a Blog or Website: 10 Tips for New Bloggers
- How to Start a Blog or Website (In 15 Minutes or Less)