Whether you want to work from home, author a book or get more exposure for your existing business, having a website is essential. Fortunately you can be up and running in about 15 minutes.
Good things to know
- No need to be techy. Literally hundreds of people–many without any technical background at all–have used my steps to start their own blogs and websites. One of the most common things I hear from people is that they appreciate how easy-to-follow it is.
- A self-hosted WordPress site is the way to go. Whether you want a blog, a website or a combination of the two, the following steps will get you there. A self-hosted WordPress site (as opposed to free service) is the most popular and most versatile way to create, build and maintain any website.
- Easy to get started, harder to keep going. I'll be honest, getting your site set up is the easy part. Making it grow is another story, but I do my best to give you tips for that too.
- I'm a paying customer, not just selling something. The steps below are exactly how I build my own sites. I have been a paying customer of the company listed here for almost 10 years. If you follow these steps, I will be paid a commission, at no additional cost to you, which helps keep this site running. Thank you!
Ready? Let's get started! Here's how to start a blog and/or website (in 15 minutes)…
Go to Bluehost (this link will open in a new window so you can reference these instructions as you work). Click the green "Sign Up Now" button.
Enter a domain name on the left side under "I Need a Domain Name." Make sure ".com" is selected from the drop down menu beside it. Click the blue "Next" button. (If you don't know what domain to use, I recommend you use your name. Here are more tips for choosing a domain.)
On the next page, enter your account info at the top. Make sure you use a working email address because this is where your login information will be sent.
Under "Package Information" choose your "Account Plan" from the dropdown menu based on how far in advance you want to pay. (As you can see, it works out to just a couple of fancy coffees per month. Not bad for your own blog or website, right?) I always skip the other add-ons except "Domain Whois Privacy" which will keep your personal information private so I highly recommend it.
On a budget? There's another hosting company called HostGator that I use and recommend as well. Their monthly fee is a little more expensive, but they do allow you to pay month by month. Check out my tutorial for HostGator here.
Fill in your billing information, confirm that you've read the fine print and then click Next.
After completing your purchase, check your email. You'll find a welcome email from Bluehost with your cpanel login info.
Step 7: Go back to Bluehost and click the "Control Panel Login" button in the top right corner of your screen (or use the link in the welcome email).
Enter your login info from the welcome email.
Once logged in, click the "WordPress" icon under "SimpleScripts Installations."
Click "WordPress" in the Scripts list under "Blogs." (Don't worry if you don't want a blog, it's the same thing if you want a regular website too.)
Click the green "Install" button under "Install WordPress."
Under "Step 1: Installation Preferences," leave things as they are (unless you are advanced and know a good reason to change them). Under "Step 2: Advanced Options" enter the title of your blog. Under "Step 3: Plugins and Themes" uncheck all the boxes. Under "Step 4" agree to the Terms of Service and then click "Complete."
Congratulations! You should now be able to type in your domain and your basic WordPress site will appear! But you must be wondering…
OK, so what's next?
- Sign up to receive my emails. You'll get all kinds of ongoing tips for getting traffic, making money and keeping things running smoothly.
- Help me spread the word and share this post with others!