I mentioned before the importance of email subscriptions and making your sign-up form really easy to find. I see a lot of blogs with the generic FeedBurner sign-up form in their sidebar. The default form looks like this:
Now, there isn't anything wrong with this and if you have this in your sidebar, way to go! Capturing email addresses, whether for your feed or via a separate newsletter (like my Behind the Scenes newsletter), is excellent.
But I think it's a good idea to personalize it a bit, make it unique.
Tell your readers *why* they should sign up for your list, not just *that* they should. (<–psst…tweet this tip!)
Here ya go:
Can't see the video? Watch it here.
- Login to FeedBurner, choose your feed name, click the "Publicize" tab –> "Email Subscriptions" –> "Subscription Management."
- Grab the code in the first box and copy it.
- Go to your WordPress Dashboard –> Appearance –> Widgets.
- Slide a a text widget into the place you'd like the form to appear, such as your sidebar.
- When the text widget opens, paste the code into the box.
- When editing the code, make sure you edit between opening and closing HTML tags. If you delete any of the < or > etc. you might make things wonky, so be very careful!
- Save your widget and refresh your page to see the changes.