A lot is going on in the land of Facebook! Here are a few highlights:
1. Timeline for Pages is coming
All pages will roll over to Timelines (just like personal profiles) by the end of March. You can preview or make the switch earlier by clicking the link at the top of your page now, or by going here.
2. No more landing tabs
Naturally, the cover photo would be the thing to optimize here, although that will have to be done carefully given the restrictions:
"This space is not meant for promotions, coupons, or advertisements."
And in the guidelines:
Cover images must be at least 399 pixels wide and may not contain:
- Price or purchase information, such as "40% off" or "Download it at our website"
- Contact information, such as web address, email, mailing address or other information intended for your Page's About section
- References to user interface elements, such as Like or Share, or any other Facebook site features
- Calls to action, such as "Get it now" or "Tell your friends"
Update: By the way, the cover image size is 851px by 315px.
3. Want to change the name of your page?
Before, you could only do this if you had less than 100 Likes. Now, you can request to change the name of your page with more than 100. Do so here.
4. Pinning posts to the top of your page
"Pinning"here is not the same as pinning on Pinterest. On your new Facebook page you'll be able to pin a post to the top to highlight what you want visitors to see.
5. Private messaging
Visitors will be able to send private messages to the page administrator.
How does this news hit you? Sad? Glad? What do you like? What don't you like?