This series has been updated, revised and expanded as of August 28, 2012. This page will remain intact for those of you who need it for reference, but I highly encourage you to follow the new How to Start a Blog (or Website) series.
If you've been wondering how to start your own blog or website, you've come to the right place. When I started blogging, I spent a lot of time hunting around the internet for various posts on the subject. I put my site together using a tip here and a tutorial there. Now I've compiled all that information in one, step-by-step list here.
Before we start, I highly encourage you to Like my Facebook page. I share more tips there (plus goofy stuff from my totally unglamorous life), so it's an easy way to keep connected.
And when you've worked your way through these posts, check out my complete archives! Whether you are completely new to blogging or have been blogging a while, I think you'll find it helpful.
- Introduction: How to build a money-making blog from scratch
- How to find your passion
- How to decide what to blog about: 8 tips
- Your personal brand: 4 things
- How to choose keywords
- Writing content: 3 beefy tips
- How to choose a domain name: 10 tips
- How to register a domain name
- How to set up hosting and WordPress
- How to change your nameservers
- How to add a new user to WordPress: Optimization Part 1
- How to optimize your WordPress Settings: Part 2
- How to install a plugin: 2 ways
- How to get & optimize a FeedBurner feed
- How to install a WordPress theme
- How to Customize your WordPress Theme
- How to Change Your Header
- How to Use WordPress Widgets
- How to Configure Your Atahualpa Header
- How to Customize Your Theme: Basic CSS Styling
- How to Enter a Post in WordPress: The Basics
- How to Get a Gmail Account and How It Works
- How to Write a Killer About Page
- How to Install Google Analytics
- How to Keep Track of Your Money
- How to Make and Install a Favicon
- How to Use FTP
- How to Install a Plugin or Theme Via FTP
- How to Submit Your Site to Google